I had no travel insurance because at last minute I decided I could save the money for other things; if I die, I die.
Which led me to mantra I-do-not-have-a-travel-insurance every time I get into trouble or I felt that a bad decision could be the cause of my death.
It’s safe to travel solo in Cambodia – Vietnam – Laos – Thailand. There were no major drama and hassle apart from the usual scams. Maybe it pays to be a Southeast Asian girl – I look like a local.
How many times did I walk around at night?
1. When I knew there was KFC 10 steps away from my hostel at Phnom Penh.
2. The night I arrived at Ha Noi and was dropped off 10 blocks away from my hostel which happened to be in a small alley and walked around again to find food.
3. Walk back to hostel from afternoon stroll at Luang Prabang (includes night market).
4. Another walk from and to hostel to eat around the night market at Luang Prabang.
5. The night I arrived at Vientiane and the tuktuk driver forgot to drop me off at my hostel. He said “it’s just 5 minute walk” and grinned annoyingly. Thank God for working Google Maps, I was able to locate the hostel!
In all fairness, I felt safe but came to realize now that I could be found dead at any spot but I was not.